If you are new to camping, there are some things you might not think about when it comes to camping rules and etiquette. Even if you are a camping expert, you may need a little reminder.
We've come up with 25 unofficial rules because there are no official rules other than those enforced by the campground. These are helpful suggestions for things that will make your camping trip safe, stress-free healthy, and happy.
- Respect nature - leave no trace and respect wildlife and vegetation.
- Be prepared - bring the right gear and supplies for a safe and enjoyable trip.
- Be mindful of other campers - be courteous and respectful of other campers’ space and privacy.
- Be aware of your surroundings - make sure to stay aware of your environment and the potential dangers.
- Keep your campsite clean - clean up your campsite and dispose of your trash properly.
- Keep your campfire under control - never leave a campfire unattended and make sure to put it out before you leave.
- Respect the wildlife - don’t feed the wildlife and keep your distance from them.
- Practice safe food storage - store your food in a secure, animal-proof container to keep wildlife away.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen - protect your skin by wearing sunscreen and reapplying when necessary.
- Respect your fellow campers - be mindful that other people are there to enjoy the outdoors, too.
- Don’t pollute the water - avoid contaminating water sources with soap and other pollutants.
- Bring a first-aid kit - always be prepared for any minor medical emergencies that may occur.
- Keep your eyes on the sky - be aware of the weather and potential storms in the area.
- Pack the right clothing - dress in layers and bring the right clothing for the climate.
- Stay hydrated - drink plenty of water and stay hydrated throughout your trip.
- Don’t forget the bug spray - bring insect repellent to keep away the bugs.
- Research the area - find out about the area you are camping in, including any special regulations or restrictions.
- Learn how to properly dispose of human waste - follow the guidelines for disposing of human waste in an environmentally friendly way.
- Don’t make too much noise - respect other campers by keeping the noise level down.
- Don’t bring too much stuff - keep your camping gear and supplies to a minimum.
- Don’t forget the flashlight - bring a flashlight or headlamp for nighttime navigation.
- Have a plan - make sure everyone knows the plan for the trip and how to contact help if needed.
- Use a fire ring - use a designated fire ring to prevent accidental fires.
- Follow the campground rules - follow the rules and regulations of the campground you are staying in.
- Have fun - don’t forget to have a great time and enjoy the outdoors!
Share your tips, tricks, hacks and pics of all things camping - join our Happy Camper Living Facebook Group. - Quenton and Leslie